London, 9 July 2019: Therium Capital Management has been selected for distinction by Chambers and Partners as one of the world’s leading litigation funders. Chambers, which only began ranking litigation funders in 2018, bestowed Band 1 recognition upon Therium in the United Kingdom for the second consecutive year, and recognised the firm’s formidable United States and Asia-Pacific operations with Band 2 rankings. Therium has helped shape and catalyse the litigation finance sector over the past decade and is proud to be one of only three litigation funders to be ranked by Chambers across all three geographic regions.
Chambers’ litigation funder rankings are based on feedback from lawyers, executives and sector peers, and some of the effusive praise directed at Therium by the international community was published in the Chambers guide:
- “The closest you will get to a magic circle firm in litigation funding.”
- Flexible and practical approach to deals, providing a service which is less about “ticking boxes than other funders.”
- An approach described by clients as “genuinely thoughtful and equitable.”
- “Positive” and “transparent” attitude leads clients to value their professional relationship.
- “Constructive and flexible,” with substantial experience in international disputes.
- A “highly sophisticated player in the international arbitration space.” Practical and flexible when it comes to negotiations, they “understand that no two disputes are ever the same – they take a more nuanced approach to every case.”
- Unlike many other funders, they are often willing to completely underwrite the value of a case if it passes due diligence. “Their willingness to be flexible on various terms both financial and other stands out in the market.”
- “Easy and effective” approach; bring “a more global perspective” to a case.
- “Easy to work with, quick to make decisions, and have a good understanding of risks and rewards.”
- Quick to identify the core elements of the case, giving clients “the capacity to focus on the forest because they are not worrying about each individual tree.”
Neil Purslow, Therium’s Co-Founder and Chief Investment Officer, was touted as a “notable practitioner” and recognised as “one of the most experienced operators in the funding space.” Lauded for his “pragmatic and proactive” approach to funding and flexible working style, Purslow is described as “an absolute pleasure to work with: practical, hands-on and really insightful.” His leadership style is praised for its effectiveness in facilitating a “level of speed and certainty that other funders cannot offer.”
Eric Blinderman, who leads Therium’s US operations, was also recognised for his “wealth of international experience” both at the US Department of Justice and Proskauer Rose. Chambers notes that Blinderman was praised by clients and peers as being “a cut above the rest.”
John Byrne, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Therium said: “Therium is honoured to be recognised by Chambers as a leading global litigation funder in the UK, US and Asia Pacific and I am delighted at the well-deserved recognition given to Neil and Eric. This distinction is a testament to the strong partnerships we have developed over the past decade – with clients, investors and peer organisations – to develop new and innovative financial strategies and promote access to justice.”
Therium is a leading global provider of litigation, arbitration and specialty legal finance active in England and Wales and internationally since 2009. Over that period, Therium has funded claims with a total value exceeding $36 billion including many of the largest and most high profile funded cases. The firm has investment teams in the UK, USA, Australia, Spain, Germany and Oslo, supplementing its resources in its corporate headquarters in Jersey, Channel Islands.
Therium has established a track record of success in litigation finance in all forms including single case litigation and arbitration funding, funding law firms and funding portfolios of litigation and arbitration claims. This track record enabled the firm to raise the then single largest investment into litigation finance of £200 million in 2015. Therium has raised over $1 billion since its foundation, which includes the latest £325 million fund raised in February 2019.
Therium has consistently been at the forefront of innovation in litigation finance, pioneering the combined use of insurance tools alongside funding vehicles, and introducing portfolio funding products into the UK. The firm’s ability to develop innovative funding arrangements and bespoke financial solutions for litigants and law firms complements its unmatched experience and rigorous approach to funding a wide range of commercial disputes throughout the world. Therium is a founder member of the Association of Litigation Funders of England and Wales and Neil Purslow sits on the board.
In November 2018, Therium won the ‘Insolvency Litigation Funder of the Year’ award at the Turnaround Restructuring and Insolvency awards in London in recognition of its cross border insolvency funding expertise and leading track record.
In March 2019, Therium Capital Management was top ranked as one of the two “Leading” litigation and arbitration funding firms in the UK by legal and business directory Leaders League, in their 2019 ranking of litigation funding. Therium was also ranked as “Excellent” in the 2019 US ranking.
UK and International
+44 (0)20 3761 9670